Wednesday, September 22, 2010

cinnamon honey bread

Let me preface this by saying, yes, many vegans do not eat honey. I am not one of them. Not only do I eat honey, I drink it, devour it, etc. So yeah, I do like to take a perfectly good whole wheat bread recipe and tweak it to incorporate honey (and cinnamon)(and cinnamon sugar). This bread should also be called lazy bread because there is no need to knead it (get it? get the pun?) And--probably my biggest bread-related accomplishment--it's Jeffrey-approved.

 




You need:
-3 c. whole wheat flour (I use Hodgson Mill because it's bomb)
-1/3 c. sugar 
-1/2 T salt
-1 yeast packet
-3/4 T cinnamon (or a whole tablespoon, whatever)
-1 2/3 c. warm water
-honey (or agave nectar) to taste
-cinnamon sugar to taste


First, mix all the dry ingredients together.
Yes, including the yeast.


Next, add the water and mix throughly.


After it's mixed, plop the batter into a oiled loaf pan and smooth out the top.


Cover and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.
Once it's risen, coat (not sprinkle) the top with cinnamon sugar.


Bake at 400° for about 30 minutes. Don't cook it for too long
because the crust can get really intense and you'll need a chisel to cut it.  
While it's still warm, poke fork holes in the top running along the
long side of the loaf. More holes=more honey seepage.


Pour the honey into the holes. Don't be shy. 


After a couple of minutes, it should look like this:


YES.
Cut slices and devour. It's very rich, so small slices will suffice.
Regrettably, my fork holes did not run as deep as I would've liked.



ALSO, I got mail!
It's the wedding announcement I mailed myself.
I'm so excited to open it.

No comments:

Post a Comment