Tuesday, October 12, 2010

organic potato soup

It took me a while to veganize my mom's potato soup. That being said, it tastes almost the exact same as her's, but has fewer calories. HA.
 Jordan-1, Dairy-0.



This recipe is really simple and really easy to be made organic. Of course, it doesn't have to be organic, but I realized that all of the ingredients I used were organic after I made it.


You need:
-2 c. organic vegetable broth
-2 medium organic potatoes, cubed
-1/2 onion, diced (I used my new SLAP CHOP)(!!!)
-1 can great northern beans (optional)
-1/3 soymilk (8th Continent is organic)
-pepper to taste
-green onion to taste


Combine the broth, potatoes, and onion in a pot and simmer for 20 minutes.    



After 20 minutes, add the can of beans and stir. Simmer for another 5 minutes.



With a potato masher (or a nifty electric one), mash until desired consistency.
I like mine really soupy with no potato pieces.



Add pepper and soymilk. Garnish with green onion. How fancy.



I AM SO EXICED for my wedding food. So excited.
Kathy Fish at Wild Wisk in Ft. Madison, IA is super nice and talented.
Here is a sample of the vegan option she provided:
Vegan basil pesto, spiced roasted sweet/russet potatoes,
and local seasonal vegetables. NOM NOM NOM. 



Also, this cupcake is beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. I might make this today (but with chicken broth and milk, because I like that sort of thing :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you use chicken broth, throw in a couple of chicken bouillon cubes :) makes it taste better! (did i say that?)

    ReplyDelete