Friday, November 5, 2010

chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

HELLO my new favorite cookbook. Against my better judgement, I checked out Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar from the library and read the entire thing during my art history class.


I feel like if I wrote a cookbook about vegan cookies, it would be this book. The authors are very real people, and unlike most vegan cookbook authors, don't expect you to drop tonz of moolah on some crazy ingredients that you'll most likely never use again. 

The weirdest ingredient used is ground flaxseed, but if you're a vegan who cooks a lot, you probably already have it. And if you don't have it, you should get it, because it's used in almost all of the recipes.

Without further ado, the delicious chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe. Note: this is not my recipe, and if you want more delicious recipes, check the book out from the library. 


You'll need:

-1/3 c. soy milk
-2 T. ground flax seeds
-2/3 c. brown sugar
-1/3 c. oil
-1 t. vanilla extract
-3/4 c. flour
-1/2 t. cinnamon
-1/8 t. nutmeg
-1/4 t. baking soda
-1/4 t. salt
-1 1/2 c. oats
-1/2 c. raisins (or chocolate chips)


First, whisk together the flax seeds and soy milk.



Next, add sugar and oil (I recommend canola, but we were 
out, so I had to use my precious coconut oil...sniff) and 
mix about two minutes until it resembles caramel.



Mix in the vanilla and sift in the flour, spices, 
baking soda, and salt.



Fold in the oats and raisins (we were out so I had to use vegan 
chocolate chips...oh darn).



Drop the dough onto a cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes (longer if you like 'em crispy)
at 350°.



Let them cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to let them fully cool.




YAY! Trust me, this is NOT the last time I will use this book
to make more delicious cookies. So far, I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. my favorite part of the entire post is how well you use your art history class time...

    ReplyDelete